Shi (石) means stone, rock; Jia (嘉) means good, outasight. I am passionate about embracing the open-source and open-data community.
View My GitHub Profile
Welcome to Jia Shi’s homepage
I exploit and develop works combining techniques in mathematics (inverse theory, optimization, numerical linear algebra), computer science (massively parallel algorithms, computational geometry) and data processing for geophysical applications from regional to planetary scales, from oil & gas discovery and monitoring, cabon capture & storage to deep space exploration.
You may see my other info via GitHub, LinkedIn, ResearchGate, Google Scholar and
an older personal page.
- 05/2021 update: this IEEE TPDS article has been awarded a “Results Reproduced (ROR-R)” badge.
- 12/2020, our invited paper entitled “Planetary normal mode computation: Parallel algorithms, performance, and reproducibility” is accepted by IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS).
- 12/2019, I joined Shell as a geophysicist after graduation.
- 11/2019, we received an award “ACM SIGHPC Certificate of Appreciation”, as recognition for reproducible methods in SC19 Student Cluster Competition, see the official blog and the SC19 awards presentation.
- 04/2019, our SC18 paper was selected (1/40 finalists) to serve as the benchmark for the Reproducibility Challenge at SC19: See the announcement and teams selected.
- Shi, J., Li, R., Xi, Y., Saad, Y., and de Hoop, M. V., A Rayleigh-Ritz-method-based approach to computing seismic normal modes in rotating terrestrial planets, in revision, see the arXiv link.
- Shi, J., Li, R., Xi, Y., Saad, Y., and de Hoop, M. V., 2021. Planetary normal mode computation: Parallel algorithms, performance, and reproducibility. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 32(11), pp.2609-2622, paper link and code link. (Awarded a “Results Reproduced (ROR-R)” badge; The Mars and Moon models were made available via IEEE dataport.)
- Shi, J., Beretta, E., de Hoop, M. V., Francini, E., and Vessella, S. A numerical study of multi-parameter full waveform inversion with iterative regularization using multi-frequency vibroseis data. Computational Geosciences, 24, p89–107 (2020), paper Link.
- Shi, J., Li, R., Xi, Y., Saad, Y. and de Hoop, M. V., 2018, November. Computing planetary interior normal modes with a highly parallel polynomial filtering eigensolver. In SC18: International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (pp. 894-906), IEEE, paper link and code link. (Accept rate: 24%; Selected (1/40 finalists) to serve as the benchmark for the Reproducibility Challenge at SC19.)
- Peng, Y., Zhou, S., Zhuang, J., and Shi, J., An approach to detect the abnormal seismicity increase in Southwestern China triggered coseismically by 2004 Sumatra Mw 9.2 earthquake, Geophysical Journal International (2012) 189(3): p1734-1740, paper link.
Extended Industrial Conference Abstracts (SEG & EAGE)
- Shi, J., R. Ye, and M. V. de Hoop., Full-waveform inversion with 3D shape optimization on unstructured meshes. In SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts 2017, (pp. 1528-1532). Society of Exploration Geophysicists.
- Ramos-Martinez, J., J. Shi, L. Qiu, and A. Valenciano., An effective multiparameter full-waveform inversion in acoustic anisotropic media. In SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts 2017 (pp. 1405-1409). Society of Exploration Geophysicists.
- Ramos-Martinez, J., J. Shi, L. Qiu, A. A. Valenciano and N. Chemingui., Multi-parameter FWI-long-wavelength updates and leakage reduction in acoustic anisotropic media. In 79th EAGE Conference and Exhibition, Volume 2017, (pp. 1-5).
- Shi, J., F. Faucher, M. V. de Hoop and H. Calandra., Elastic full-waveform inversion with surface and body waves, In SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts 2016 (pp. 1120-1124). Society of Exploration Geophysicists.
- Ph.D. in Geophysics, Department of Earth, Environmental and Planetary Sciences, Rice University, USA, 2015-2019.
- Involved in the Ph.D. program of the Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences, Purdue University, USA, 2012-2015, later transferred to Rice University with my advisor.
- B.S. in Geophysics, School of Earth and Space Sciences, B.A. in Economics (double major), National School of Development, Peking University, China, 2012.
- 05-08/2016 & 06-09/2015, Intern research geophysicist, Petroleum Geo-Services (PGS), Houston, TX.
- 02/2016, Geophysics short course, “Multi-Disciplinary Subsurface Integration in Exploration and Production, from Plates to Pores”, ExxonMobil, Spring, TX.
- 06-09/2014, Intern research geophysicist, TOTAL E & P Research & Technology, Houston, TX.
- 07-08/2018, Cooperative Institute for Dynamic Earth Research (CIDER), “Relating geochemical and geophysical heterogeneity in the Earth”, Santa Barbara, CA.
- Conferences [Geophysics] contributed: Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG), European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers (EAGE), American Geophysical Union (AGU), SEG SEAM workshop.
- Conferences [HPC] contributed: SuperComputing conferences (SC18, SC19, SC20), Rice Oil & Gas High-Performance Computing Conference.
- Conferences [Math] contributed: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), SIAM Mathematics of Planet Earth, SIAM Computational Science and Engineering, Institute for Computational and Experimental Research in Mathematics (ICERM), Rice Data Science Conference.
- Company seminars: Bureau of Geophysical Prospecting (BGP), Petroleum Geo-Services (PGS), Total Energy, In-Depth Geophysical, CGG, ExxonMobil, Intel, TSMC.
- University seminars: Rice University, Brown University, Peking University, Tsinghua University, Tongji University.
- SC20 Planning Committee, Journal Special Issue, see the list link.
- SC19 Student Cluster Competition reviewer.
- Major contributor/writer: Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment (XSEDE) research allocation TG-EAR170019, “Planetary Normal Mode Computation”, (estimated value $15,084.50 each year for 2018, 2019, & 2020, $42,086.00 for 2021).
- Academia: MIT, UCB, University of Minnesota, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Emory University (US), Politecnico di Milano, Universita di Firenz (Italy), Peking University (China), The Institute of Statistical Mathematics (Japan).
- Industry: Petroleum Geo-Services, Total, ExxonMobil.
Honors and Awards
- 2020, The Sam Worden Endowed Memorial Fund Award in Geophysics, Rice University.
- 2019, ACM SIGHPC Certificate of Appreciation, as recognition for reproducible methods in SC19 Student Cluster Competition, see the official blog and the SC19 awards presentation.
- 2018, Best Poster Presentation, 1/20, Rice Industry Geoscience Series.
- 2017, Best Poster Design, 1/77, Department of Computer Science & Engineering’s eleventh Biennial Research Showcase, University of Minnesota, with Y. Xi, R. Li, L. Erlandson, M. de Hoop, Y. Saad.
- 2011, May Fourth Scholarship, Peking University.
- 2010, PKU Education Foundation Fellowship, Peking University.
- 2010, China National Petroleum Corporation Scholarship, Peking University.